Q2 2013 sales grew nearly 16 percent year-over-year to $49.8 billion, marking the fifteenth consecutive quarter of positive year-over-year growth and eleventh consecutive quarter of double-digit growth.
“The second quarter of 2013 saw a healthy acceleration in the online spending growth rate to nearly 16 percent on the strength of a particularly enthusiastic April from consumers,” said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. “Increased spending growth for the quarter not only reflects the long term share shift towards digital commerce, but also the near-term signals of sustained improvement in consumer sentiment. This strength is particularly significant since the second quarter tends to be seasonally lighter for e-commerce, and, as such, represents a positive indicator for the back half of the year.”
Other highlights from Q2 2013 include:
- The top-performing online product categories were: Apparel & Accessories, Digital Content & Subscriptions, Sport & Fitness, Consumer Packaged Goods and Home & Garden. Each category grew at least 19 percent vs. year ago.
- E-commerce accounted for 9.6 percent of consumers’ discretionary spending, the highest second quarter share on record.
- Consumers spent an additional $4.7 billion in mobile commerce (m-commerce) via smartphones and tablets, an increase of 24 percent over the past year.
- Apparel & Accessories was the highest grossing m-commerce product category with more than $700 million in Q2 sales, followed by Computer Hardware and Digital Content & Subscriptions.
Latest posts by ryan (see all)
- Digital Marketing in 2018 – Growth Hacking Our Way Forward - December 18, 2017
- Online Lead Generation for Local Boston Business - April 27, 2015
- Google Updates Local Search with Pigeon Update - July 28, 2014